Sponsorship at Neste Oil is based on the company’s sponsorship principles. When selecting what to sponsor, particular attention is given to how closely a potential partner shares similar values to Neste Oil’s own. Neste Oil does not sponsor political parties, religious movements, or company clubs. Neste Oil spent a total EUR 1 (1) million on charity work and sponsorship in 2013.
Neste Oil Rally has a major impact in and around Jyväskylä
Neste Oil has been the main sponsor of the Finnish World Rally Championship event since 1994. A study carried out in 2013 – in the form of a questionnaire produced by the Sports Business School – showed that the Neste Oil Rally generated a direct financial benefit to the Jyväskylä region valued at close to EUR 15 million in 2013. The event also has a very positive impact on the town’s overall image.
Read more about the study.
Other sporting events sponsored in 2013:
- 'Auta miestä mäessä' campaign, in support of the Finnish national ski jump team
- Espoo Blues: ice hockey team from Espoo
- Oulun Kärpät: ice hockey team from Oulu
Special emphasis on children and young people in recent years
Neste Oil has focused on supporting activities linked to children and young people in particular in recent years. By supporting a range of activities, Neste Oil’s aim is to help enhance the wellbeing of young people and children, offer them challenging activities, and help them enjoy sport and staying on the move.
The following received support from Neste Oil in 2013:
- Nuorten hyväksi (Let’s Help Young People) campaign: aimed at promoting wellbeing among the young
- Finnish Figure Skating Association: proactive support to help prevent young national team players aged between 10 and 15 from being injured
- Millennium Youth Camp 2014: encouraging young people to learn more about science and promoting the concept of sustainable development among future scientists
- Chemistry Lab Gadolin: an action-based learning environment for schoolchildren and students studying chemistry
- Espoo Blues Juniors: long-term support for junior ice hockey players
- Borneo Child Aid: enabling 265 Malaysian children to attend school annually
- Lastenklinikoiden kummit and Espoo Blues: Neste Oil donated EUR 100 for every goal scored by the Espoo Blues ice hockey team in a home game during the 2012–2013 season to the children’s wards at Jorvi Hospital in Espoo via Lastenklinikoiden kummit
- MyCity project in Turku: a study module on society, working life, and entrepreneurship for sixth-grade pupils.
Sponsoring a pioneer spirit
Neste Oil also uses sponsorship to promote a pioneer spirit. Research and development activities play an important role in Neste Oil’s businesses, which is why they are also seen as worthy of sponsorship support.
Activities sponsored in 2013:
Millennium Technology Prize: the world’s biggest technology prize, awarded to innovations that enrich people’s everyday lives and promote sustainable development.
Supporting local sports and arts activities
Neste Oil is also committed to helping promote the dynamism of local communities by supporting sports and arts activities in locations where its operations are based. The company donated approx. EUR 57,000 to local volunteer work associated with children and young people in 2013.
Activities sponsored in 2013:
- Summer Sounds in Porvoo festival
- Naantali Music Festival
- Local volunteer work among children and young people.
Neste Oil’s Christmas donation in 2013, totaling EUR 15,000, went to the new children’s hospital in Helsinki, UN Women, and WWF Finland.